Friday, July 24, 2009

Seven Quick Takes for the end of July

I keep thinking I am going to write a real post, but it hasn't happened. So, I am very glad, once again, that Jennifer at Conversion Diary started the "Seven Quick Takes" idea for Fridays.

1) This week was one for contractors. I called the tree guy (dead branch overhanging the house, about 40 feet up); the plumber (had to find a new one, hated the old one, to fix our upstairs tub which was totally clogged); the HVAC guy to come check our units (gotta keep them in tip-top condition given the usual need for a/c around here.); 4) the general contractor because two years later WE STILL GET WATER IN OUR BASEMENT WHEN IT RAINS!

Of course, the problem is that you call them, leave a message and check it off your mental list. If they don't call back, you forget about it. Which is why the tub was clogged for six months. (We do have another tub, so my children aren't filthy dirty.)

2) So, the plumber came this morning. Fixed the tub. The house was built more than 50 years ago, so the pipes are really grody. They won't be permanently fixed until we rip out that bathroom and re-do it. Hmmmm. Don't think I can take THAT on right now.

3) Potty training has been accomplished (more or less) for our nearly three year old. Still have him in diapers/pullups when we go places, because, well, just because. He is VERY proud of peeing in the potty, and we have to do a little dance every time he does. It goes something like this: "Woo hoo, you pee-eed in the po-tty (etc.) boogawooga wooooh!" The baby thinks it is funny if I am holding him when I am required to "dance".

4) Grammas and Grampas are great for giving breaks to tired mommies and daddies (when they can do it) but somehow the feeling of a break doesn't last for more than six hours. Why is that? Normally a weekend gets you through the next week. Ah well, this is just a season, isn't it?

5) Today was the first of a series of pre-school birthday parties. All the little almost-3s have their birthdays between the end of July and the beginning of September. There is a whole host of them. We are giving books. I have been assured by the parents that books are ok. The current favorite is this lesser-known McCloskey book. "Wentil, by Wobert McCwoskey."

6) Woo Hoo!!! Just got my GroBaby diapers in the mail. So excited. Must go do load of laundry......

7) Suddenly my almost three year old understands the concept of "mommy is going in the other room to nurse the baby and you need to be quiet". He came in the baby's room and whispered to me that he had to "go pee" and left. Then I heard the bathroom door and the bedroom door open and he came back in and whispered, "can you help me?" Poor tyke couldn't get the diaper open. So, I unhooked it for him, handed it to him. He said, "Thanks mommy" and took his diaper and little naked self and softly shut the bedroom door. The bathroom door was slammed shut, but you can't have everything.

4 comments:

Julia said...

I'm excited to hear how the Gro Baby diapers work out for you. You'll be the first person I "know" to use them, and I'm always on the look-out for the next good thing in diapers. :)

Suburban Correspondent said...

If you enable public access to the e-mail listed on your Blogger profile page, I can answer your comments directly, via e-mail. For now, I'll just come here.

Your child is 3! You don't even have to think about math for ages - just make sure he knows how to count, knows his shapes, etc. We use the A Beka math series - the workbooks are inexpensive, colorful, and easy to read. I hate Saxon, it takes a fun subject and makes it look hard.

Why do you worry about supply? Have you had supply issues in the past? If not, don't worry about the all-night sleeping. That's only a concern in the earliest months. You'll produce plenty of milk in the daytime as long as he nurses frequently. Make sure to nurse before you give him solid food, is all.

Raise Them Up said...

I enjoyed reading about your son's potty time. I can just picture it! :) It's nice for you too, when they finally "get" that nursing time goes best with a little quiet. :)

anymommy said...

We had so many birthday parties this spring, I thought my kids might turn into a cupcake, or think every day was a birthday. I love giving books too.